meta content='العنوان' name='ENG4ALL'/> Grammar Summary | eng4oll

Pages

Monday 5 September 2011

Grammar Summary

 

Choose the Right Tense

1. In Morocco, people ­­­­…………………. (speak, spoke, have spoken) Arabic or Berber.

2. Be quiet! The baby …………………. (sleeps, is sleeping, slept). She ……………….. (cries, cried, was crying) and Mom …………………..(rocks, rocked, was rocking) to sleep.

3. I …………………. (am, have been, was) in this school for three years now .
I …………………. (come, came, have come) here at the age of fifteen and now I am almost eighteen.

4. Barrak Obama said that he …………………. (will withdraw, would withdraw, withdrew) the American army from Iraq if he …………………. (is elected, was elected, will be elected) president of the USA
.

5. After the baccalaureate, I …………………. (am going to study, will study, am studying) medicine and become a doctor. This has been my life-long dream.

6. While The Robertsons …………………. (are dinning, dinned, were dinning) out last night someone …………………. (break, breaks, broke) into their villa and….................... (steal, steals, stole) their jewelry and a sum of money.

7. Mostapha and I …………………. (were, are, had been) friends for years. However, he ………………….  (hasn't written, didn't write, doesn't write) since he …………………. ( leave, leaves, left) the country for the USA in 2008.

8. By this time next year, you ………………….  (will finish, will have finished, would finish) high school and ………………….  (go, went, gone) to University. I, on the other hand,  ………………….  (will immigrate, will have immigrated, would immigrate) to the USA.

9. I usually ………………….  (wake, woke, have woken) up at six. However, yesterday ………………….  (is, has been, was) an exception. I ………………….  (get, got, have gotten) up at 7 because I ………………….  (forget, forgot, had forgotten) to set my alarm. So, I ………………….  (don't have, didn't have, won't have) breakfast and I was late for school.

10. Rime ………………….  (plays, has played, has been playing) Sudodu for years now. You might call her 'Sudokuholic'.

Put the verbs in the correct tense

1. Khemisset (be ) ………….. a small city. It (be) …………. Located between Rabat and Meknes.   

2. Khalid  (not listen) …………. .………. when the teacher asked us to turn over the page. The teacher (get) ……………………… angry and (send) …………………… him to the principal. Khalid (be)……. ………….. an annoying boy and he (always/ talk) ………………………….. I wish he (give) …………………. It up.

3. My kids (feel) …………………… bad about me selling my Mercedes last week because we (own) ………………………it for years. I(want) …………………… to get rid of it because it (become) …………………………. A gas hog.

4. Nam (never/see) …………………a desert before he (visit) ……………………. The South of Morocco last month. Nam (be) ………..…….. an American Peace Corps volunteer and he (work) …………………….. with the Moroccan artisans for more than a year now.  This time next year he (leave) ………………….. Morocco. He says he (miss) ………………..his family and friends in San Francisco.

5. Our Arabic teacher (be) …………………………. So boring yesterday that several students (sleep) ………………………during the lecture. Some of them (draw) ………………….. pictures on their notebooks. Others (tell) ……………………………. Jokes and (laugh) ………………….. together.

6. If you (help) ………………….. me with this exercise, I (wash) ………………… your car.

7. The burglar (leave) …………………… by the time the police (arrive) ……………………….. last night.

8. My dad is a teacher. He (work) ………………………days a week and (have) ………………………….. two days off.

9. How long (you study) ………………………. English?
I (study) ……………………. it since I was 16.

10. Hayat (not come) ………………………..to the party last Wednesday. She (may be) …………………….sick.

Correct the verbs in the following the texts

A big battle was going on during the First World War. Guns are firing, and shells and bullets are flying about everywhere. After an hour of this, one of the soldiers decides that the fighting was getting too dangerous for him, so he leaves the front line and begun to go away from the battle. After he has walked for an hour, he sees an officer coming towards him. The officer stopped him and says, “Where are you going?”
“I try to get as far away as possible from the battle that’s going on behind us, sir,” the soldier answered.
Did you know who I am?” the officer said to him angrily. “I’m your commanding officer.”
The soldier is very surprised when he hears this and said, “My God, I didn’t realize that I am so far back already!”

Which of the two tenses is correct? Cross the wrong one.

A young lady who was on holiday in Brighton (go/ went) into a bank to collect some money which (was sent/ had been sent) there for her from the town in which she lived.
The clerk in the Brighton bank (didn't know/ doesn't know) her, so he said “What proof have you got that you are really the lady who should collect this money?”
The young lady looked worried for a few moments and said, “I (don't think/ didn't think) I've brought any proof with me,” but then she suddenly looked happy again. She opened her bag, (takes/ took) a photograph of herself out of it and showed it to the clerk. “Here’s something,” she said.
The clerk looked at the photograph carefully and then looked at the young lady. “Yes, that ('s/ was)  you,” he said, and paid the money to her without any more trouble.

Underline the signal words / time indicators for the tenses / verbs in bold type.

1.    I read the Moroccan newspapers everyday.

2.    More and more people are losing their jobs nowadays because of the crisis.

3.    You have grown a lot since the last time I saw you.

4.    My sister got married four years ago.

5.    When I was a child I lived in the country.

6.    I was searching the internet while mom was watching her favorite show.

7.    The plane to NY has just taken off.

8.    Have you ever been to France?
     No, I haven't been to any European country yet.

9.    I have studied English for three years in the same school.

10. It's cloudy and windy. I think it's going to rain soon.

11. The match had already started when we arrived at the stadium.

     12.  My dad will be forty five next month.

13.  Omar did not have his dinner at home last night. He dined out.

14. Rick was painting his room when he fell and broke his led.

15. The family man was made in 2001.

16. I am doing an exercise at the moment.

17. The Euro has fallen against the dollar four times this week.

18. It will rain in the High Atlas tomorrow.

19. I usually check my email in the mornings.

20. I had lived in Mekes for years before I moved to Khémisset.

Tense
Use
form
Simple present
For repeated actions; usual actions; facts; generalizations; schedules (future); now (no-continuous).
V + [s/es for (he/she/it)]
Present continuous
Now (continuous or in progress); near future; repetitions and irritations (with always)
BE + V+ ing
Simple Past
For completed actions or series of completed actions in the past; actions which start and stop in the past; habits in the past; past facts.
V+ed (regular)
Irregular verbs have to be learned by heart.
Past continuous
Continuous actions in the past; to describe an atmosphere at a particular time in the past; repetition and irritation with 'always' in past; after 'while' in the past.
Past of 'BE' + V+ing
Present perfect
Unspecified time before now; talking about experience, change that has happened over time; accomplishments; uncompleted actions, several different actions at different times in the past,
Have/has + past participle
Present perfect continuous
Used to emphasize the duration of the present perfect actions.
Have/has + been + V +ing
Past perfect
A completed action before an action in the past.

Simple future
Will: voluntary action; offer; promise; predictions.
Be going to: plans; predictions with physical evidence
Will + verb
or
Be going to + verb
Future perfect
For completed actions before something in the future
Will have + past participle


 HOME                         KEY                              الأجوبة


0 Comment:

Post a Comment