meta content='العنوان' name='ENG4ALL'/> FUNCTIONS | eng4oll

Pages

Friday 9 September 2011

FUNCTIONS

FUNCTIONS 




I advise you to...
If I were you, I’d … (I'd = I would)
If I were in your shoes, I’d … (I'd = I would)
 (I think) you’d better … (you'd = you had)
If I were in your place, I'd…
If I were in your position, I'd…
It is advisable to …
I think you should …
The best thing for you to do is …
I think you must...
You'd better...
Your best bet is to...



It’s forbidden (to …)
It’s prohibited (to …)
It’s /you are not allowed (to …)
You can’t …
It's / you are not permitted to...



          Asking for opinion
What do you think of...?
What's your opinion of/about...?
Do you think ….?
          Giving opinion
In my opinion...
I think / reckon / presume / gather / figure (that)...
I believe that...
I'd say that …
As I see it, ...
My point is...
My view is...
In my view …
For me…
To my mind…
It seems to me…
According to me …
I feel …
From my view point / point of view …



I agree. 
That is true.
Of course, yes.
(That's) True.
You bet.
You said it!
I agree with you that …
I couldn't agree more.
You are absolutely right.
That is a good point.
You've got a point.
I'll go along with that.
So we're agreed on that.
Agreed.
I see eye to eye with you.







I disagree.
I don’t agree.
(That's) Impossible.
I can't accept that.
You can't be serious.
Of course not.
Nonsense, Rubbish.
You can't mean it. 
I can’t agree …
I think you are mistaken.
I won’t accept that.
I don't see eye to eye with you.
My foot! (rude)






Yes, but ...  
I agree with you but …
That may be so, but ...
I partially agree with you.
I accept that, but ...
Aren’t you forgetting that ...
On the whole, yes.
I take your point, but...
I'm not sure about that.
Haven't you forgotten something?







You/he etc must …
This means…
If…., then it can…
Therefore…
It has to be…
It follows that…






Can you …, please?
Could you …, please?
Will / Would you …, please?
Would you...?
Would/ do you mind ___ing…?
May I …, please?
I'd be grateful / thankful if you could …
I wonder if you could (possibly)...







Apologizing:
Forgive me. 
I am so / really / terribly sorry. 
I can't tell you how sorry I am. 
I don't know what to say. 
I'd like to apologize.  
I do apologize.
Responding to an apology
Never mind.
That's ok.
Forget about it.
That's all right.
Don't worry about it.
Don't apologize.
No harm done.
I quite understand.
You couldn't help it.








I am planning to...
I have decided to...
I intend to...
I have made up my mind to...
I am determined to ...
I mean to...
I plan to...
I propose to...





You must…
You have to...
You should ...
You ought to …
It's is obligatory to …
It's compulsory…
You are obliged to...
You are to...
You've got to...







You are responsible for …
You are to blame.
It is your fault.
You must take the blame.
(Just) Look at what you have done.
You have only got yourself to blame.
You shouldn't / oughtn't to have done that.






Never mind.
Don't worry.
It doesn't matter.
Forget (about) it.
You are not to blame.
It is not your fault.
You are not responsible for that.
It is not the end of the world.





Congratulations.
I congratulate you on ...
Many happy returns.
Fantastic.
Well done.







You had better…
It’s your / my duty to…
You / I’ve got an obligation to…
I / you've got to….
I / You have a duty to…
I feel obliged to…
I can’t get out of it.
I’m responsible.
You will be liable for…
You have to answer for it.






What great news!
How marvelous!
Wow!
Well done.
Awesome! (American)
I'm really pleased / glad / happy to hear that …
I am really delighted…
I cannot tell you how happy I am / was.
It gives me great pleasure to ...






How sad / terrible!
Poor thing!
Oh dear! I am sorry
I was so sorry to hear…
My deepest sympathy and condolences.
That’s bad luck.
What a pity!






How / it's terrible/ /horrible / awful!
I am disgusted / It's disgusting. 
I can't tell you how horrible it is.
I can’t tell you how angry I’m / was.
That’s boring.
I can't stand it.






I'm (so / very) worried.
I'm (so / very) concerned.
I am / feel very anxious …
You'll be careful, won't you?
I hope nothing goes wrong.
Anything could have happened.






          Approval
Well done.
I enjoyed /liked it.
I approve of ...
I have never seen/ heard/ tasted anything like this before.
Wonderful /Fantastic / great.
I think it's (lovely, gorgeous /marvelous, great...).
          Disapproval
How bad /terrible!
I disapprove of...
I didn't enjoy it.
I didn't like it.
Disapproved.







Certainly / Sure / Surely.
I'm (am) certain that ...
There is no doubt that...
No doubt.
I'm (am) sure that ...
My firm belief is that...






What about …
How about …
I suggest ...
Let's …
Why don't we …?
Why not...
Can we …?
Do you feel like...?
Have you ever thought of...?







All right. Ok.
I can’t argue with that.
I give up.
If you say so.
You have got a point.
I (…) take your point.
There is no answer to that.






It's probable …
Perhaps. (…)
Maybe.
I guess / expect / suppose / presume …
I bet …
I dare say …
Probably. (…)
It's likely …
I / it may ...
I / it might ...
I / it could …
… will probably ...







          Necessity
I / you have to …
I / you've got to …
I /you must …
It's necessary …
             Lack of necessity
I / you don't need to …
I / you don't have to …
I / you needn't …






Oh, no!
Oh, dear!
What a pity!
It’s / what a shame!
How disappointing!
I felt really let down.
I am / was so disappointed.







I like … more than ...
I prefer …
I'd rather ... ( I'd= I would)
I would like to...
I feel like (__ing) ...
I fancy (__ing)...
I wouldn't mind (__ing)...






(Oh,) really? (Are you sure?)
I am surprised.
 It's / how amazing!
It's /how surprizing.
I'm surprised to (hear that.)
Good Heavens! Wonderful!
My goodness!
I am amazed to hear this.






          Asking for clarification
Would you elaborate on that, please?
Could you clarify more?
Excuse me. What (do you mean / did you say)?
Pardon me. Would / do you mind repeating that? 
I beg your pardon.  Could you say / repeat that please?
I’m sorry.  I didn’t get the ...
Sorry. I didn’t catch that / What did you say?  
          Giving Clarification
Let me explain! …
(What) I mean is…
What I’m trying to say is…
What I really meant was…
For example……
That is (to say) …
Do you understand..?
Did you catch that?
Is that clear now? 
Okay, so far?                                     
Did you get that?      
Got that / it?
Right?       






So what!
Who cares?
I couldn’t care less.
It’s all the same to me.
I’m not interested.
What’s the point?
I’m easy. It doesn’t matter to me.



I promise to / that…
I will (…)
I shall …
You promised to….
You undertook to….
You agreed to…
A promise is a promise!







No, thank you.
No, certainly not.
No way.
Never!
Heaven forbid.
Why should I?
Because I don’t want to...





Well, err …
Look!
Listen!
I mean...
You see...
Well, let me see...
If you see what I mean!
Picture this. 
Look here! 
All right!
Watch it! 
Is that clear enough for you?
Do you see what I mean?
I can't tell you off hand …
Function
Arabic
1. Opinion
التهنئة
2. Advice
استنتاج / خلاصة
3. Apology
الموافقة
4. Obligation
الاقتراح
5. Request
الطلب المهذب
6. Agreement
الاعتذار
7. Congratulation
التفضيل
8. Suggestion
الإلزام
9. Preference
الرأي
10. Blame
الدهشة
11. Probability
الاستحسان
12. Indifference
اللوم
13. Surprise
اللامبالاة
14. deduction / conclusion
النصيحة
15. Approval
الاحتمال




1. A friend of yours fell off her bike and broke her arm.
You: ……………………………………………………..

2. A classmate says that women should not go out to work. You disagree with him.
You: ……………………………………………………..


3. Your e-pal's mom passed away. Write a note of condolences.
You: ……………………………………………………..

4. Your brother has just passed her driving test.
You: ……………………………………………………..

5. Your teacher says she does not like soccer.
You: ……………………………………………………..

6. Someone offers you a cigarette. You don't smoke.
You: ……………………………………………………..

7. You feel bored and you want to suggest going to the zoo with your little brother.
You: ……………………………………………………..

8. Your mom promised to wake you up at 7 but she overslept too and you missed class.
You: ……………………………………………………..

9. You see this sign at the zoo: "Don't feed animals".
You: We…………………………………………………..

10. What do you think of cloning?
You: ……………………………………………………..






1. I am angry about you last article. It discriminates against women. (opinion / complaint / advice)

2. You aren't allowed to park your car here. (prohibition / obligation / refusal)

3. It's likely to rain tomorrow. (certainty / intention / probability)

4. May I go out, sir? (suggestion / permission / promise)

5. I am sure we'll be late for school. (Possibility / indifference / certainty)

6. Oh dear! I am sorry to hear that. (sympathy / opinion / congratulation)

7. To my mind, pollution will destroy the world sooner or later.(agreement / surprise / opinion)

8. I am ashamed of not handing the project in time. (apology / preference / clarification)

9. I agree with you that education of girls in the country should be given more importance. (disappointment / approval / blame)

10. I see that you're out of breath. You must have been running. (deduction / clarification / anxiety)






1. I feel the world is moving in the wrong direction.
……………………………………………………………………
2. Sorry, my mind drifted off and I didn’t follow you.
……………………………………………………………………
3. What a pity! Serena failed her test again.
……………………………………………………………………
4. I am really delighted to hear of Aisha's marriage.
……………………………………………………………………
5. Let's review the lectures at the cafeteria.
……………………………………………………………………
6. You'd better see a dietitian.
……………………………………………………………………
7. We can't camp here. Look at the sign. It says, "No camping"
……………………………………………………………………
8. Would you mind rolling up window, please?
……………………………………………………………………
9. I am so much concerned about the spread of swine flu among people in Mexico.
……………………………………………………………………
10. It might be fine tomorrow. Look at the horizon.
……………………………………………………………………


0 Comment:

Post a Comment